As I strive to understand and code for 508 compliance, I realize there are few, if any good resources out there. I want to rectify that by collecting some of the better tools out there for coders to reference.
I hope to update this entry a few times a year to keep it fresh. If you have a resource or idea that I’ve left off, share the love and drop me a comment. Thanks!
- Section 508 Amendment to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Wikipedia)
- Section 508 Checklist (webaim.org)
- Section508.gov – Straight from the proverbial horses mouth
- 508 Compliance Checker – A tool that scans your site for compliance
- 508 Compliance, Best Practices
- GSA Tutorials, Guidance, and Checklists
- Veterans’ Affairs 508 Office Support eLearning Courses
- Overview of Section 508 – Not free, but if you have a Lynda.com account, it’s a good resource
Since I know a lot of you are more visual learners, here’s a roundup of video tutorials.
Section 508 Compliance Basics
Section 508 Awareness (From NASA)
Accessibility Features on Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
Top 5 Accessibility Features in iOS 8
How Blind People Use an iPhone
It’s a little dated, but it’s worthwhile to see how someone with a disability actually uses smartphone technology.